Carbon Care Asia (CCA) is greatly honoured to have been invited to speak at the “Global Sustainable Leaders Forum 2010” which will be held from 22nd November to 25th November, 2010 in Beijing. Dr. Trini Leung, CCA Executive Director, will speak on the topic of “Great Power Race World Cafe: China’s Low-Carbon Innovations”. She was also invited to be a judge of the “Great Power Race Final Round: Project Presentation Competition“. Winners of this Competition will be awarded carbon offsets sponsored by Carbon Care Asia.
This carbon offset award comes from the project “Afforestation and Reforestation on Degraded Lands in Northwest Sichuan, China”. It is the world‘s first CDM – recognized afforestation and reforestation carbon credit project (CDM-AR) simultaneously developed according to the best local, national and international standards for “climate, community and biodiversity” (CCB). By restoring over 2,250 hectares of mixed-use native forests, this offset project is estimated to bring about a carbon-equivalent reduction of 460,000 tonnes over its 20-year project life.
Located in the high mountains of the earthquake affected areas of Sichuan, this Project benefits post – earthquake restoration. Over 12,000 local farmers of 3,200 impoverished households will benefit from the project, including over 5,300 people of ethnic minorities. It also helps to protect biodiversity at one of the world’s 34 biodiversity hotspots – the Mountains of Southwest China, and within the forest eco-zone of the Upper Yangtze.
- Carbon Care Asia Executive Director Dr Trini Leung (2nd left) pictured with 350.org —- the organiser of the “Global Sustainable Leaders Forum 2010” in Beijing. She was invited to be a speaker at the Forum and a judge for the “Great Power Race inter-school competition.
- At the Forum, Dr Trini Leung explained to the audience about CCA’s business targets and its total carbon management solution which includes the staging of carbon neutral events and the offering of carbon offsets.
- Dr Trini Leung, amongst other panel judges, was busy marking the various entries in the “Great Power Race”.
- The audience were all ears during the presentations by different teams.
- Dr Trini Leung and the young participants were engaged in an earnest exchange of ideas about clean energy, the theme of the Competition.