The United Christian Hospital celebrated its 35th Anniversary with a series of programmes and a tree planting ceremony was held on the World Environment Day of 5 June 2009. The ceremony was turned into a carbon neutral event, with help from Carbon Care Asia, promoting the messages of caring for the health and wellbeing of the community and the planet. Mr Shane Soloman, Chief Executive of Hong Kong’s Hospital Authority, was among other senior executives, community leaders, special guests and members of the Authority’s management, who participated in the event and showed their support for a low carbon community.
“Carbon neutral” was one of the themes of the day’s ceremony. CCA provided the Carbon Care Event services in:
- Carbon footprinting
- Carbon reduction
- Carbon offsets
- Communications on low carbon ways
Dr Rebecca Lee was the special guest and gave a moving personal account of the impacts of climate change and pollution on the Arctic and the Antarctic to an audience of over 100 participants. To reduce carbon footprint from traveling, participants at the other two hospitals of the Cluster, Tseung Kwan O and Haven of Hope, attended the luncheon talk via video broadcasting.
- CCA team with Dr C C Luk, Cluster Chief Executive, Kowloon East Cluster, at the 35th anniversary celebrations of the United Christian Hospital.
- VIPs joined in the signing of “Low Carbon Life Charter”.
(From left) Mr Shane Solomon, Chief Executive, Hospital Authority; Mr Bunny Chan, BSS, JP, Chairman, Kwun Tong District Council; Ms Pauline Wong, JP, District Officer, Kwun Tong Home Affairs Department; Mr John Li, Chairman of Hospital Governing Committee, UCH; Canon Li Fook Hing, OBE, Honorable Director, United Christian Medical Service; Dr C C Luk, Cluster Chief Executive, Kowloon East Cluster.
- Mr Shane Solomon, Chief Executive of the Hospital Authority, participated in the Tree Planting Ceremony.
- Low carbon lunch was offered to all event participants.