As the CarbonCare® Label 2013 is now available for application by all companies and non-government organizations on or before 10th April 2013, a briefing session was held on 7th March 2013 to explain the Label, its benefits and the application procedures.
This briefing session attracted nearly 100 participants from government authorities, non-government organizations, universities, as well as various business sectors including property development and property management, finance and insurance, public transport and utilities companies. It was held at arguably HK’s most environmentally friendly commercial building, the LEED Platinum – certified Hysan Place, thanks to the sponsorship of KPMG.
CCA Chief Executive Officer, Ir Albert Lai, gave a comprehensive review of the latest global impact caused by carbon emissions, and examples of how corporations around the world have responded with win-win measures to capture sustainability benefits while helping to mitigate the effects of climate change. Innovative solutions and services provided by CCA in the past years to help various clients were also cited as local examples of carbon management and strategies.
CCA Senior Business Consultant, Mr Timothy Fong, gave a detailed presentation on the schedule and procedures of applying for CarbonCare® Label 2013. He also explained the special media package developed with the sponsorship of Bloomberg and the Hong Kong Economic Times Group for all awardees of CarbonCare® Label 2013.
The presentations were followed by a brief sharing by Dr Shelley Zhou, Sustainability Manager of the Hong Kong Jockey Club, and Mr Harold Yip of SSID. Based on their own corporate experience, both guests spoke about the benefits of labeling as a new tool for public, staff and business engagements.
The CarbonCare® Label is an unique scheme that encourages and recognizes the efforts of companies and organizations in their action to tackle climate change and achieve carbon reduction/neutrality status by Measuring, Reducing and Offsetting (MRO) their carbon footprints. Since its pilot launch by Carbon Care Asia in late 2011, over 30 entities have attained the Label, ranging from companies, NGOs, hotels, business summits, concerts, weddings and festivals.
Successful applicants of the CarbonCare® Label will be invited to an award ceremony and a Low-Carbon Leadership Seminar on 30th May 2013, which will be jointly organized by Carbon Care Asia and Bloomberg, and officiated by Mr Bernard Chan, Executive Councilor, and Ms Christine Loh, Under-Secretary for the Environment.
*For more details about CarbonCare® Label 2013 and its benefits, please refer to:
- CCA Chairman Mr Chong Chan Yau welcomed all guests and thanked our partners and sponsors in his opening remarks at the Briefing Session.
- CCA CEO Ir Albert Lai showed corporate representatives how sustainability benefits can be captured from effective carbon management plans.
- CCA Senior Business Consultant Mr Timothy Fong explained how the CarbonCare® labeling scheme works and the label application procedures.
- Nearly a hundred senior executives from government authorities, non-government organizations, universities, as well as various business sectors attended the briefing.
- Ms Lan Xing, CCA Consultant, acted as interpreter for non-Chinese speaking guests at the English corner.
- Dr Shelley Zhou, Sustainability Manager of the Hong Kong Jockey Club, shared the Club’s experience in public and staff engagement through CarbonCare® Label events.
- Mr Harold Yip of SSID spoke highly of the benefits of CarbonCare® labeling in helping SMEs to improve branding and expand their business networks.
- The CCA team with CarbonCare® Label Panel Advisor Dr Ng Cho Nam at the Q&A session.
- Representative from the Hong Kong Housing Authority posed questions to the panel.
- Representative from Green Peace also raised a question.
- CCA Director Ms Rosanna Wong with representatives from the Green Technology Consortium.
- CCA Chairman Mr Chong Chan Yau and CEO Ir Albert Lai pictured with Ms Becky Ho (3rd right) and Ms Frances Liu (3rd left) of Bloomberg, and Mr Harold Yip (2nd left) and Mr Harris Ho (left) of SSID.
- CCA Chairman Chong Chan Yau and Director Ms Rosanna Wong pictured with Mr Nelson Yip (left) of Appetizup and Ms Daisy Chee (2nd right) of KPMG.
- Dr Shelley Zhou (right) from HKJC and Mr Alfred Ho (middle) and Ms Shan Shan Lam (left) from Ka Wah Construction Materials pictured at the briefing.