From Measurement to Neutrality
CCA & BSI Joint Seminar for Corporate Carbon Management
In response to the recent urge by the Council for Sustainable Development in Hong Kong for more active corporate participation in carbon auditing to facilitate carbon reduction, CCA hosted a seminar on corporate carbon management in partnership with the British Standard Institute (BSI) on Aug 18, 2011. Over 30 senior business and sustainability executives from various sectors attended this informative half-day seminar, which encompassed the business and technical considerations from carbon measurement to carbon neutrality.
CCA Senior Sustainability Consultant, Dr Joanne Yeung, gave a comprehensive presentation on the benefits of incorporating carbon management into an organization and the process of conducting a carbon audit report, while also sharing several case studies on carbon neutrality. Dr Yeung’s presentation was followed by a panel discussion facilitated by Dr Trini Leung, CCA Executive Director. Mr Woody Si, Chief Engineer from Regal Hotel Group, and Mr Nelson Ho, Facility Manager of Hong Kong Science and Technology Park, have kindly acted as special guest speakers in the panel discussion, and shared their valuable experience with seminar attendees.
On the technical side, Ir Stephen Yu, Compliance & Risk Manager from BSI – HK, explained the benefits and the requirements for verification under PAS 2060, a new standard on carbon neutrality launched by BSI last year.
To help the audience understand how offsets can work for carbon neutrality, CCA has invited Mr Yang Fangyi, an expert from Shan Shui Conservation Centre from Beijing, to join the seminar. As the Program Manager for Forest and Climate Change in an NGO specializing on biodiversity conservation, Mr Yang enriched the seminar with his vast frontline experience and knowledge in various kinds of forestation carbon offset projects in China.
- Dr Joanne Yeung, Senior Sustainability Consultant of CCA, presented to the audience the latest practices and strategies on carbon management.
- Guest speakers from Regal Hotel, Mr Woody Si, (right) and HKSTP, Mr Nelson Ho (left), shared firsthand experience in carbon management in the panel discussion facilitated by Dr Trini Leung (middle), CCA Executive Director.
- Guests and speakers gathering for a group photo : (from left) Dr Shelley Zhou, Sustainability Manager, Hong Kong Jockey Club; Ir Albert Lai, CCA Advisor; Ir Stephen Yu, Client Manager cum C&R Manager, BSI; Ir Alfred Yeung, Partner, Brock Carmichael Architects; and Mrs Betty Simpson, General Manager of The Helena May
- Ir Stephen Yu, Client Manager cum C&R Manager of BSI explained to the audience how they can meet the requirements under PAS2060 “Carbon Neutrality Standard”.
- Mr Yang Fangyi, Climate Change Program Manager of Shan Shui Conservation Center in Beijing, gave an overview on China’s latest developments in forest carbon offsets.
- Mr Timothy Fong, CCA Business Development Manager, acted as host to the seminar.